Family Based Immigration Petition

If you want to apply for a Green Card based on your family relationship, a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident relative, your family member must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative for you. Below are the following family categories.

Once you are the beneficiary of an approved immigrant petition and an immigrant visa number is immediately available to you, there are two ways to apply for lawful permanent resident status (a Green Card). If you are outside of the United States, you may apply at a U.S. Department of State consulate abroad for an immigrant visa in order to come to the United States and be admitted as a permanent resident. This pathway is referred to as consular processing (see more information below).

If you are already in the United States and qualify to submit an adjustment of status application, you may be able to apply for permanent resident status without having to return to your home country to complete processing. This process is called adjustment of status and there are some specific requirements in order to qualify for this process. As such, read our Adjustment of Status Section.